10 Skincare Habits to Develop in Your 20s
Friday, February 10, 2017
- Break up with old makeup. We all have things that hold sentimental value, but your beauty products shouldn’t fall into that group. Even if they look fine on the surface, old and expired makeup can harbor bacteria resulting in bad breakouts to pinkeye (yes—we went there). Six months after purchase is usually a good time to replace products.
- Go to bed with a fresh face—always. It’s time to say “no more” to late nights or lazy days when all you want to do is crash and leave everything else until morning. Waking up to last night’s makeup means your skin didn’t get a chance to rejuvenate from the day’s stresses. Start each day fresh by prepping the night before with a clean face, wearing only your favorite night cream. Our favorite? Extra Nighttime Moisture, of course.
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep. We all have our own sleeping patterns and habits, but this is a good, healthy goal for everyone. When you’re tired, it often shows, and chronic fatigue can result in premature signs of aging. Do your mind and body some good by giving it the rest it needs. For those days when beauty sleep isn’t an option, give your peepers a “perk-me-up” with our caffeine-infused eye care—Eye Bright for puffiness and Eye Off-Shade for dark circles.
- Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen every day. Daily SPF coverage is a must even if you aren’t spending a lot of time in the sun. Safeguarding your skin from the sun’s rays with at least SPF 30 will help fight sun damage and wrinkles in the long run.
- Use non-abrasive exfoliants regularly. Exfoliating your skin without irritation is crucial.Gentle exfoliants refresh your complexion every week to get rid of all the dead skin cells that give your skin a dull or rough look.Exfoliants don’t all come in the form of a scrub, either. Our Face Wash Powder has exfoliating protease enzymes in and our Pore Face Wash is formulated with baking soda and pear juice alpha hydroxy acids.
- Start using eye cream. Whether you’re showing signs of aging or not, it’s never too early to start using eye cream. The skin under your eyes and around your temples are thinner and more delicate than the rest of your face making them more susceptible to dehydration. Prevention is key when it comes to good skincare. You can’t go wrong with our bestseller Concentrated Eye Cream.
- Add targeted skincare to your routine. Your 20s are the perfect time to start experimenting and expanding your skincare routine. Adding a booster gives the rest of your skincare that extra oomph for better results. Boosters help target specific concerns such as dryness or uneven skin tone. Where to start? Try vitamin-powered boosters like Retino A Essence to help smooth and brighten or Vitamin C Essence to improve skin’s tone.
- Be consistent with your skincare routine. Consistency is key. Sticking with a solid routine that works for your skin type sets it you up for success in the long run. An easy way to start is with a skincare set already put together for you such as our Olive Essentials Set. It comes with a product for each of the 4 basic steps of skincare that are gentle enough for all skin types.
- Resist the urge to pop pimples. This has been said time and time again but let’s be honest—we all still do it! As unpleasant as blemishes are to look at, the scars they leave behind are even worse, which are usually harder to cover up. Muster up the willpower to stop yourself from turning breakouts into a ring of fire and your complexion will thank you.
- Cut back on alcohol. Having fewer drinks is good for your body inside and out. Too much alcohol regularly can lead to dehydration and a sallow complexion. Wine-lovers will be happy to know that red wine contains the antioxidant resveratrol that helps fight free radicals and boosts your skin’s defenses against the elements and pollutants.