Brown Sweet Rice Pancakes
with Lemon and Ginger
Ingredients (serves 8)
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1 cup ﬂour
2 tablespoons sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1½ cups DHC Brown Sweet Rice,
cooked and cooled to room temperature
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1. Peel the fresh ginger with a vegetable peeler, then grate.
2. Carefully grate the lemon skin to avoid removing the bitter white pith.
3. In a medium saucepan, warm milk over low heat, stirring constantly until it reaches room temperature. Stir in lemon zest and ginger; then set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine the cooked rice and the dry ingredients: ﬂour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
5. Separate the egg yolks and whites and place the whites in a medium- sized bowl. Add the yolks to the milk mixture.
6. Add the melted butter to the milk mixture and whisk to combine. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened.
7. Using a lightweight, clean whisk, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently stir into the batter.
8. Lightly grease (we recommend using extra virgin olive oil) a griddle or frying pan and heat to medium. Gently drop 1/4 cup of the batter onto the hot surface. When bubbles appear on the top of the pancakes, turn them over and continue cooking until the center
Serve with seasonal fruit or maple syrup.