Spiced Pumpkin Soup with Chamomile
featuring DHC Núñez de Prado Extra Virgin Olive Oil
INGREDIENTS (serves 6)
- 8 chamomile tea bags
- 6 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Núñez de Prado Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 can (29 ounces) pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt, for garnish (optional)
- Sliced chives, for garnish (optional)
Bring 4 1/2 cups water to a boil; pour over tea bags; cover; steep for 6 minutes; reserve.
Sauté onion in oil over medium-low heat until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin, and cayenne, stirring constantly until mixture is aromatic, about 1 minute.
Stir in tea, remaining 2 cups water, pumpkin, and 1 tablespoon salt. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture reduces and lightly coats the back of a spoon, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Serve in individual soup bowls. Garnish each with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt and a sprinkle of chives.
Browse all of our classic DHC recipes