Vegetarian Black Bean Chili Olé
featuring DHC Núñez de Prado Extra Virgin Olive Oil
INGREDIENTS (serves 6)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons DHC Núñez de Prado Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder or regular chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry red wine (or 1 cup water)
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large bell peppers (any color), chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Top with sliced green onion, cheddar
or jack cheese, avocado, and lime.
Sauté onion and garlic in oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add spices and cook, stirring constantly, until aromatic, about 1 minute.
Add beans, tomatoes (including juice), water, wine, cornmeal, oregano, and salt; stir.
Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 1 hour.
Stir in bell peppers; simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice.
Serve chili and top with garnishes of onion, cheese, avocado, and lime, if desired.
Browse all of our classic DHC recipes