If you’ve read our post "What Are Antioxidants?", you know how important antioxidants are to keeping your skin healthy and glowing by protecting your cells from oxidative stress. You must be wondering how to get more of these superpowered nutrients into your body so they can start working their magic. It’s easy!
Fresh fruits and vegetables are loaded with powerful antioxidants that fight free-radical damage. Here are some of our favorites:
- Berries like strawberries, blueberries and raspberries not only fight free radicals but they also help lower LDL cholesterol.
- Olive oil is loaded with antioxidants from vitamin E and polyphenols, and virgin olive oil—which is more lightly processed than other olive oils—has even more of these skin-boosting nutrients.
- Artichokes are rich in the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant ingredient called chlorogenic acid. Be sure to boil or steam them for the most powerful antioxidant punch; frying them actually lowers their antioxidant levels.
- Coffee also contains loads of chlorogenic acid and polyphenols that neutralize free radicals.
- Green tea is a straight-up superfood that’s abundant in catechins, a natural compound with proven antioxidant benefits.
- Kale is high in antioxidants along with calcium and vitamins. Choose red kale over the green variety if you want twice the amount of antioxidants.
- Dark chocolate contains even more antioxidants by weight than blueberries and raspberries.
To protect your skin from the outside in, seek out super antioxidants like coenzyme Q10, olive oil, retinol (vitamin A) and vitamin C. We’re such big fans of antioxidants that you’ll find them across our entire botanically-based line, in cleansers, serums, toners, moisturizers and masks.
- Astaxanthin Collagen All-in-One Gel contains a freshwater algae called astaxanthin, which is 6,000 times more powerful than vitamin C at eliminating free radicals that speed up signs of aging.
- CoQ10 Quick Gel Brightening Moisture tones, primes and brightens in one step while giving your skin a boost of coQ10. Learn more about this hero nutrient here.
- Deep Cleansing Oil harnesses all the free-radical-fighting power of organic olive oil in a nourishing makeup remover and facial wash that melts off makeup and impurities, leaving your skin soft, balanced and deeply cleansed.
- Platinum Silver Nanocolloid Cream contains micronized platinum, a powerful antioxidant that protects skin from environmental damage, in a brightening and moisturizing complex of botanicals.
- CoQ10 (ubiquinol) has such a powerful effect on your skin that you might want to treat your body to even more of it from the inside. Your body naturally produces less of it as you age, so many health experts recommend a coQ10 supplement to energize cells, fight free-radical damage, protect your heart and even help prevent diabetes and cancer.
- Vitamin C repairs free radicals, making it one of the most potent antioxidants you can find. Its skin-brightening quality is just a plus!
- Selenium supports healthy skin by neutralizing excess free radicals and protecting your cells from oxidative damage.
It’s easy to add antioxidants to your skincare regimen and diet. With a payoff like glowing skin, energized cells and strengthened defense against environmental damage, what are you waiting for?