Last Updated January 16, 2020
Categories of Information Collected by DHC
DHC collects personal information you provide during your interaction with the site and also other information that is gathered by various technologies when you visit the site.
What kind of personal information does DHC collect?
- Email address
- Billing and shipping addresses
- Phone number
- Birth month
We collect Purchase Information. We may collect your order history, such as what products you have purchased or browsed through our website. We may also collect information about your product and shopping preferences.
We collect Payment Information. We collect billing information, such as your credit card information and billing address if you make a purchase on our site.
We collect Demographic Information. We may collect demographic information, such as your age, gender, or date of birth.
We collect Internet and Network Activity Information. We may collect the following when you visit or interact with our site:
- Browser information
- Information collected via the site through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies, including device identifiers, your order history, what products or content you view and click on, what site you came from to get to us and what site you go to when you leave us, your interactions with our digital ads, and content on other sites
- Pages visited on the site
- Number of visits to the site
- Your IP address
Uses of Information by DHC
How does DHC use the categories of personal information described above?
- To fill orders and contact you. We use Contact Information and Payment Information to process and fulfill your order and send you emails regarding the status of your order. We use Contact Information to respond to your requests, questions, complaints, and feedback. If your request relates to products (e.g., complaints or returns) or transactions, we may also use your Payment Information to identify the particular transaction or product and make any payment adjustments.
- For marketing purposes. We may use Contact Information, Internet and Network Activity Information, and Demographic Information to communicate with you and send you information about promotions, offers, products, contest and the latest trends in skincare and beauty. We use Contact Information, Internet and Network Activity Information, and Demographic Information to help us learn more about your shopping preferences. We may use this information to tailor and serve you ads about products and offers.
- To improve our products and services. We may use Contact Information, Internet and Network Activity Information, and Demographic Information to make our website and products better. We may use this information to enhance or customize your shopping experience, and to help analyze trends, demographics and statistics.
- For security purposes. We use certain pieces of personal information to protect our company (including our websites) and our customers. We may also need to use your personal information to investigate and remediate fraud or other suspected illegal activity.
- To verify requests made pursuant to this Policy. We will use certain pieces of personal information to verify your identity or contact you, if necessary, if you make requests pursuant to this Policy. The verification steps and the pieces of personal information that we request may vary depending on the sensitivity and nature of your request.
How does DHC otherwise use Internet and Network Activity Information?
- To improve on our marketing efforts
- To evaluate and analyze the use of the site
- To support our web analytics
- To ensure the site is working properly
- To remember you and maintain items in your Shopping Bag
- To tailor and serve you ads about products and offers
- To research customer demographics, interests and behaviors
We use information as otherwise permitted or required by law or as we may notify you.
Sharing of Personal Information
We share the categories of personal information described above in the following ways and with the following entities:
- With Our Service Providers: DHC uses third parties to handle various parts of transactions due to their expertise, resources and/or infrastructure. We may share each category of personal information with vendors and service providers that help us with things like processing payments, providing online chats, providing analysis and recommendations for marketing campaigns, managing product reviews, sending emails and eblasts or provide other consulting services. Our contracts specify that the contractors must also maintain the security and privacy of your information and use it only for the specific purposes of the contract.
- With Business Partners and Other Marketers: We may share your Contact Information and Purchase Information with other merchants and merchant exchanges. Other merchants may, in turn, use this information to send you offers for their products and services. If you don't want this information shared with these merchants and exchanges, simply write to us at: DHC Privacy & Legal Department, 1001 Marina Village Parkway, Suite 100, Alameda, CA 94501
Some transfers of your personal information to our business partners and other marketers may be viewed as a “sale” under certain state laws. California residents should review the “Your California Privacy Rights” section and our Do Not Sell My Information page.
- With Law Enforcement or Emergency Response: We may disclose each category of personal information if we have reason to believe that it is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against persons or entities who may be causing injury to our customers, to DHC or to others. We may also disclose each category of personal information when we believe the law requires it or to protect ourselves. For example, we will share personal information as required to respond to a court order or subpoena. We may share information if a government agency or investigatory body requests it, or when we are investigating potential fraud.
- As Part of a Sale or Merger: DHC may also transfer personal information to any successor to all or part of our business or assets. If part of our business is sold, we may give our customer database as part of that transaction, which may include each category of personal information.
We may share personal information for other reasons we may describe to you.
Information Collection and Sources
We collect the categories of personal information described above from the following categories of sources:
We collect personal information directly from you and your devices. We may collect Contact Information, Demographic Information, and Payment Information when you register an account, buy or return a product, sign up for our email newsletter, submit content, or otherwise contact us.
DHC uses pixel tags, tracking tools, and cookies behind the scenes to collect Internet and Network Activity Information. These tools allow us to recognize you when you return to our website and when you use our website, and to collect information about your visit. A cookie is a file stored on your computer or browser by a website to give you a unique ID. A cookie generated by our website contains only an alpha numeric ID that allows you to retrieve certain information on our site. For example, while on our site if you leave your shopping basket to look for other items, the cookie allows for the storage of the selected items in the basket. Cookies help us provide you with the information you need and make it easier for you to use our site. A pixel tag or web beacon is a graphic image or small string of code that enables the transfer of data. Pixel tags can be used for reporting website traffic, whether email was opened, customer preferences, advertising effectiveness and general auditing. We collect this information when you interact with our websites, our ads, and our emails. We collect this information about users over time and across devices. For information on how to control these tools, see the “How do I stop certain tracking tools?” section below.
We get personal information from vendors we hire to work on our behalf. Vendors that host or maintain our websites and send emails for us may give us Contact Information and Network and Internet Activity Information. Our marketing agencies and advertising technology vendors may also provide us with Contact Information and Internet and Network Activity Information.
We combine information about you in a variety of ways. DHC may also combine your personal information with other information or information from other sources in order to improve our marketing programs, send you DHC offers, promotions and other marketing information, better serve our customers as a whole and analyze and evaluate marketing initiatives.
Your Choices for Managing Information
How do I access or change my personal information?
You can log in to your online account at any time to access, update or change your personal information. You can also call our Customer Care Center at 1.800.DHC.CARE (342-2273) and one of our Customer Care Advisors can assist you.
How do I opt out of DHC marketing emails?
You can opt out at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link on any promotional emails that we send you or by logging in to your online account and updating your communication preferences. Please note that you will continue to receive emails from us regarding your purchases such as order confirmation and shipping updates.
How do I stop certain tracking tools?
If you don't like cookies, you can set your browser to reject cookies or to notify you when you are sent a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether or not to accept it. For instructions, look at your browser's Help menu. Note that certain features of the DHC site may not be available if you delete or reject cookies.
At this time, our website does not honor Do Not Track requests.
For third party tracking on our site, you may opt out by visiting the following pages:
Individual websites may also offer their own opt-out methods for interest-based advertising and similar services. Please note that by opting out, you will not stop receiving online ads. Opting out means that you will no longer be delivered ads tailored to your preferences and web usage from the companies from which you opted out.
California residents have the right to make certain requests with respect to personal information we collect. See the “Your California Privacy Rights” section below.
Security of Your Information
We work to protect the security of your information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software which encrypts the information you input. We reveal only the last four digits of your credit card number when confirming an order. Of course, we transmit the entire credit card number to the appropriate credit card company during order processing using SSL encryption software. All credit card processing is PCI compliant.
We also maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of personally identifiable customer information.
It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer. Be sure to sign out when you finish using a shared computer. Please keep in mind that no security safeguards or standards are guaranteed to provide 100% security. You should always use appropriate self-protection measures and practice safe browsing on all websites.
Links to Third Party Websites
DHC takes special care to protect the safety and privacy of children. Our website is a general audience site and our marketing and website are not geared towards children under the age of 16.
Children under the age of 16 should always ask their parents or guardians for permission before providing any personal information to anyone online. We urge parents and guardians to participate in their children's online activities and use parental control or other web filtering technology to supervise children's access to the web.
Your California Privacy Rights
Under California Civil Code sections 1798.83-1798.84, California residents are entitled to ask us for a notice describing what categories of personal customer information we share with third parties or corporate affiliates for those third parties for direct marketing purposes. The notice will identify the categories of information shared and will include a list of the third parties and affiliates with which it was shared, along with their names and addresses. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to the following address: DHC Privacy & Legal Department, 1001 Marina Village Parkway, Suite 100, Alameda, CA 94501. Please allow thirty days for a response.
If you are a California resident, you also have the right to make the following requests with respect to your personal information:
- Access: You have the right to request that we disclose to you the following: (i) the categories of personal information that we have collected about you; (ii) the categories of sources from which we have collected personal information about you; (iii) the business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling your personal information; (iv) the categories of personal information that we have sold about you and the categories of outside parties to whom the personal information was sold; (v) the categories of personal information that we have disclosed about you for our business purposes and the categories of vendors to whom the personal information was disclosed; and (vi) the specific pieces of personal information that we have collected about you. You can exercise this right online by clicking here, or by calling us at 1.800.DHC.CARE (342-2273).
- Deletion: You can request that we delete your personal information that we maintain about you, subject to certain exceptions. You can exercise this right online by clicking here, or by calling us at 1.800.DHC.CARE (342-2273).
- Opt-out: You can opt-out of the sale of your personal information to an outside party by visiting our Do Not Sell My Information page. For purposes of this Policy, “sell” means the sale, rental, release, disclosure, dissemination, availability, transfer, or other oral, written, or electronic communication of your personal information to an outside party for monetary or other valuable consideration.
- Right to be free from discrimination: You have the right not to be discriminated against for exercising these rights.
We may deny certain requests, or fulfill a request only in part, based on our legal rights and obligations. For example, we may retain personal information as permitted by law, such as for tax or other record keeping purposes, to maintain an active account, and to process transactions and facilitate customer requests.
We will take reasonable steps to verify your identity prior to responding to your requests. The verification steps will vary depending on the sensitivity of the personal information and whether you have an account with us.
You may designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf. When submitting the request, please ensure the authorized agent is identified as an authorized agent.